Open Books West Loop
Open Books West Loop is open for walk-in business! New business hours are Monday - Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm.
The safety of our team and customers is of the utmost priority. As Chicago has entered Phase 3, we are following the guidelines of Be Safe Chicago:
- Capacity: 35 customers (25% of overall capacity)
- Social Distancing: 6 foot distance encouraged amongst customers
- PPE: Facial coverings worn over nose and mouth are required for team members and customers
Safe Spaces and Conditions
- Impermeable Barriers: We have set up plexiglass barriers to separate team members and customers during check out
- Hygiene: Hand sanitizer is available for customers upon entry and exit
- Access: Queues are marked in 6-foot distances; entry and exit are separated by stanchions
- Cleaning: We have increased the frequency of our cleaning schedule, with a focus on high-touch areas
- Restrooms: The bathrooms are currently closed, and reserved only for emergencies
- Seating: Customers are discouraged from using couches and chairs unless necessary
- Payment: We are encouraging contact-free payment options
- Reusable Bags: Team members are prohibited from handling reusable bags from customers; a self-bagging station is set up for customers
Thank you for your patience and understanding during these unprecedented times.
We’re still offering free shipping on on-line orders over $20, too. Or, order for pick up at the West Loop Store. Shop here.
We’re also taking contact-free donations at our two drop bins and at both locations. More info here.
We look forward to seeing you again in the store!
P.S. The Pilsen warehouse store remains temporarily closed as we take measures to insure safety compliance. We will be opening that store soon as well!
Chicago Reader Best of Chicago 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
Newcity Best of Chicago 2016
Time Out Chicago Love Chicago Award 2016
Red Tricycle Totally Awesome Award 2016
Chicago Magazine Readers’ Choice Best of Chicago 2015
Open Books West Loop is a friendly, full service neighborhood used bookstore: 50,000 books in dozens of genres, a dedicated kids and young adult section with 10,000 books, plenty of comfy chairs and reading nooks, a full slate of events, watchlist and ordering services, and more, all to support our literacy programs in Chicago.
Our twice-weekly Storytime features books, singing, crafts, and the joy of shared stories for our youngest readers. Join us every Thursday and Saturday at 10am!
Open Book Club
Looking for a friendly group of readers and a lively discussion? Open Book Club meets from 6:15-7:15pm on the second Tuesday of each month. No RSVP required. See you there!
Looking for something in particular? Fill out this quick search form and we'll see what we can find for you.
Creative Writing Club
Calling aspiring student authors! Creative Writing Club meets after school every Wednesday for writing prompts, games, prizes, and more.
Your Event Here
Have something in mind for our store? Tell us about it! We love hosting book events, small concerts, and more. Just email us with your idea.
Volunteer With Us!
Volunteers make everything we do possible, from helping customers find books through sorting through brand-new donations. See the details and get started!
Rent Our Space!
Looking for a colorful and creative venue for a party or meeting? Our store and classrooms are available! See the details and contact us to discuss dates.
Got Books to Donate?
Wonderful! We've got a 24/7 drive-up dropbox right in back of the store, or are happy to take small donations in the store during business hours. Thank you!
At Open Books, something wonderful is always happening! View our events calendar to learn more about upcoming events.