COVID-19 Status Update for Book Donations
- We are offering Book Pick Up Service with safety precautions. Fill out the form below to be scheduled.
- Open Books Pilsen at 905 W. 19th St., Chicago, IL 60608 is open for donations Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm; Sat-Sun, 10am-4pm. If the door is locked, ring the bell or call 312.243.9776 upon arrival and we’ll make arrangements to get the books safely.
- Open Books West Loop (651 W Lake St, Chicago, IL 60661) is open for business, 7 days/week 10am-6pm. Smaller donations can be made during that time contact-free in the lobby.
- Drop Bins, listed below, are open and taking donations 24/7 contact-free.
Free Pick Up Service!
Drop Bins in Chicago!
Donations Accepted at our Stores!
We Love Books!
The Power of Donated Books
Each year, generous readers donate hundreds of thousands of books to support literacy. We sell those books in our stores and online to help fund our programs, and use and give them away in our literacy and book grant programs. Our book department produces zero waste, and we give away 2.5 books for every 3 we sell.
We welcome any sellable book in good condition. This includes fiction, nonfiction, craft books, cookbooks, children’s books, and more! We also accept LPs in good playable condition. Since we give away so many children’s books, we are always in need of more high quality titles. NOTE: We are no longer accepting CDs and DVDs.
Tax Deductible: We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit, so all donations are fully tax deductible. Looking for a receipt for your donation, click here.
Where to Donate Books
645 W Couch Pl., Chicago, IL 60661 – Drop box off of Desplaines between Randolph and Lake St., behind our West Loop store
Westfield Old Orchard Mall, 4999 Old Orchard Shopping Center, Skokie, IL 60077 Northeast corner of parking lot A, at the corner of Skokie Blvd and Golf Rd. Use the entrance off Skokie Blvd near Maggiano’s.
Need a Pick Up?
Fill out the form below. We’re on the road M-F, 11am-3pm in our Booksmobile!
Questions about book donation?
Want to host a book drive for Open Books?
Here’s everything you need to know: The Book Drive Guide
Publishers, Stores, or other Partnership Book Donations?
Please contact Ryan Jackson, Managing Director, [email protected] to get the ball rolling.
Interested in a FREE Pick Up? Fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch!
- Note: For the health and safety of our team and you, we will not enter private residences. Please be able to put your books outside, at a loading dock, or in the foyer of your building.
- There is currently a wait list of between 4-6 weeks, depending on which neighborhood you are requesting. We’ll try to get to you as soon as possible!
What do we take?
- All recently published Children’s Books in good condition, including teen/YA titles
- Adult Books in almost all genres that are in good, resellable condition
- LPs in playable condition
What don’t we take?
There are certain types of books that simply have seen their time come and go and, unfortunately, no longer possess the capability to help us achieve our mission. Such as:
- Older Textbooks
- Books with significant damage
- VHS Tapes or Audio Books on Cassette
Special Note: We do not accept library discards, including those from school libraries. Please email [email protected] if you have questions about donating books from libraries.
Pick Up Area
Our pick up radius is within the City of Chicago and near suburbs bound by the Tollway (294). See the map below for more details. We will make exceptions for larger collections, get in touch!
How To Package Books
Pack your books into cardboard boxes or plastic bins no larger than 12″x12″x16″. We accept books in paper bags with handles, but we DO NOT accept books in garage bags.