Since our founding in 2006, Open Books has worked directly with tens of thousands of students and reached hundreds of thousands more through our book grant programs, community events, and literacy partnerships. We’re proud of the numbers posted on this page—and of the individual stories behind each one of them.
Every day at Open Books, we focus on the transformative impact of literacy through reading and writing programs, special events, store sales, team growth, donor visits, and volunteer engagement. Join us as a shopper, donor, or volunteer to be part of the change for years to come.
Theory of Change
and Results To Date
Increase access to reading, writing, and used books.
• A single exposure to good reading material can result in clearly increased reading enthusiasm.
• Having books in the home is 2x as important as parents’ educational level for social mobility.
• The ratio of children to books in low-income areas is 300:1.
Total books given away
Provide student programs built on this access.
• Students who are strong readers do better in school and are better prepared for successful lives.
• Having students write about texts they read improves reading skills and comprehension.
• Experience and confidence in writing in one context stimulates writing in other contexts.
Total students served
Total program hours provided
Involve caring adults to power programs and increase effect.
• The more that caring adults are engaged with a student’s education, the better outcomes the student is likely to have.
Total volunteer hours
Transform lives through reading, writing, and the power of used books.