Open Books is expanding our Storytime Program, and we need an additional Storytime Facilitator to support us on the first Saturday each month. The perfect Storytime Facilitator is enthusiastic and charismatic with a passion for children’s books and songs, knowledge of early literacy development, and a warm and compassionate demeanor to help expand our reach of our early childhood programming.
The Storytime Facilitator will be considered part of the Open Books program team and will report directly to the Program Director. This role will also work in close collaboration with the store team.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Facilitating storytime sessions for 0-3 year olds and their caregivers at Open Books West Loop on the first Saturday of each month.
- Curating new age-appropriate books and songs for preschool age children and younger
- Maintaining and expanding a solid community of Storytime families
- Representing the Open Books mission and sharing a love of early learning
Knowledge and Abilities
- Solid understanding of early childhood development and age-appropriate literacy activities
- Warm, caring, and friendly demeanor, appropriate to working with young children, and in being a public face of Open Books
- Ability to be an effective preschool-age facilitator and leader
- Familiarity with children’s literature, authors, songs, and early literacy resources
- Ability to implement programs for children, their parents, and caregivers
- Willingness to travel to occasional off-site events throughout Chicago on an as-needed basis
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to maintain and foster cooperative and courteous working relationship with the public, peers and supervisors.
+ Basic performance and/or musical talents a plus.
NOTE: This position requires songs and book reading for very young children. It is nota space for unique storytelling. You should be comfortable with very wiggly audiences.
- Experience with performing or interacting with very young children and their caregivers
- At least 3 years college education or higher
- Customer service preferred
Employment Status, Salary, and Benefits
This is a contractual position that requires availability on the first Saturday of the month from 9:30am-11:30am. Pay is $15 per hour.
There may be the potential for additional hours as the Storytime program continues to grow and expand to off-site locations.
To apply: Submit cover letter, resume , and creative introduction* to Cary Mele at [email protected] no later than February 15th. 2019.
*What is a Creative Introduction?
All applicants must submit a Creative Introduction as part of their application to Open Books. A Creative Introduction can be anything (really,ANYTHING) that illuminates your skill set in a unique way and shows us why we would be crazy not to hire you. Creative Introductions should show some work and effort. Generally, cleverly written emails and samples from college classes do not make effective introductions.
Hint: Be CREATIVE!!!
You may email, mail, or drop off your creative introduction to Open Books. Open Books
Attn: Storytime Creative Introduction
651 W. Lake Street
Chicago, IL 60661