Open Books is seeking an enthusiastic, delightful Storytime coordinator with a passion for children’s books and songs, knowledge of early literacy development, and a warm and compassionate demeanor to help expand our reach of our early childhood programming.
The Storytime Coordinator will be considered part of the Open Books program team and will report directly to the Program Director. This role will also work in close collaboration with the store team.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Facilitating weekly storytime sessions for 0-3 year olds and their caregivers at Open Books West Loop
- Maintaining and expanding a solid community of Storytime families
- Participating in Storytime expansion, including but not limited to taking storytime into new neighborhoods, exploring additional age groups, and providing take-home activities to parents and caregivers
- Collecting and analyzing data to share impact of programming
Knowledge and Abilities
- Solid understanding of early childhood development and age-appropriate literacy activities
- Warm, caring, and friendly demeanor, appropriate to working with young children, and in being a public face of Open Books
- Ability to be an effective storyteller and programmer
- Familiarity with children’s literature, authors, songs, and early literacy resources
- Ability to implement programs for children, their parents, and caregivers
- Willingness to travel to occasional off-site events throughout Chicago
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to maintain and foster cooperative and courteous working relationship with the public, peers and supervisors.
- Basic Spanish and/or musical talents a plus.
- Library or educational programming experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (early childhood, education, library science, storytelling, etc) or equivalent as demonstrated by prior work experience.
- Experience working with young children and caregivers.
- Customer Service preferred
Employment Status, Salary, and Benefits
This is a part-time position for 16 hours per week, including Thursday and Saturday mornings and a flexible 3rd shift, with the potential for additional hours. Benefits include:
- Competitive hourly wage commensurate with experience
- Accrued Paid Time Off
- 25% off all book purchases + free books each month at Open Books West Loop
To apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and creative introduction* to Cary Mele at [email protected] no later than Sunday, July 15.
*What is a Creative Introduction?
All applicants must submit a Creative Introduction as part of their application to Open Books. A Creative Introduction can be anything (really, ANYTHING) that illuminates your skill set in a unique way and shows us why we would be crazy not to hire you. Creative Introductions should show some work and effort. Generally, cleverly written emails and samples from college classes do not make effective introductions. Hint: Be CREATIVE!!!
You may email, mail, or drop off your creative introduction to Open Books.
Attn: Storytime Creative Introduction
651 W. Lake Street
Chicago, IL 60661
In cooperation with DeVine Consulting, Open Books is excited to find our new Executive Director!
The Executive Director reports to our Board of Directors, working with them to achieve annual and long-term goals. With overall strategic and operational responsibility for the Open Books staff, the Executive Director acts to advance the mission of the organization. He/she/they will manage several direct reports who oversee, directly or indirectly, all of the functional areas of Open Books: literacy programs, social venture, finance, philanthropy and marketing.
The successful candidate will be an intelligent, articulate and highly organized self-starter who maintains high standards of work, exercises sound business judgment and can interact effectively with diverse constituencies. He/she/they will welcome the opportunity to build collaborative relationships and enjoy the challenges of a leadership role, including guiding others and managing for success in an entrepreneurial environment with upside potential. The ideal candidate will share Open Books’ passion for making a difference in the lives of students and individuals served.
See the full position guide for details.
If you are interested in learning more about the opportunity, wish to refer a qualified candidate, or plan to apply for the role, please reach out to Margie DeVine at [email protected]. We look forward to hearing from you!