COVID-19 Status Update for Book Donations
- Pick Ups have resumed with safety precautions. Fill out the form below to be scheduled.
- Open Books Pilsen storefront is currently closed, but open for contact-free book donations. Donations are accepted Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm; Sat-Sun, 10am-4pm. Ring the bell or call 312.243.9776 upon arrival and we’ll make arrangements to get the books safely.
- Open Books West Loop is open for business, 7 days/week 10am-5pm. Smaller donations can be made during that time contact-free in the lobby.
- Drop Bins, listed below, are open and taking donations 24/7 contact-free.
Free Pick Up Service!
Drop Bins in Chicago!
Donations Accepted at our Stores!
We Love Books!
Book Pick Up Service Now Open
As Chicago enters Phase 3 of Stay Safe, we are resuming pick up service on a limited schedule. All pickups must be contact free. Fill out the form below and we will be in touch about scheduling and logistics. As always, you can safely drop off your books in our donation bins, in the lobby of 651 W. Lake between 9am-5pm, or through the donation slot at Open Books Pilsen (details below). Thank you for your understanding and patience.
The Power of Donated Books
Each year, generous readers donate hundreds of thousands of books to support literacy. We sell those books in our stores and online to help fund our programs, and use and give them away in our literacy and book grant programs. Our book department produces zero waste, and we give away 2.5 books for every 3 we sell.
We welcome any sellable book in good condition. This includes fiction, nonfiction, craft books, cookbooks, children’s books, and more! We also accept LPs, CDs, and DVDs in good playable condition. Since we give away so many children’s books, we are always in need of more high quality titles.
Tax Deductible: We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit, so all donations are fully tax deductible. Looking for a receipt for your donation, click here.
Where to Donate Books
645 W Couch Pl., Chicago, IL 60661 – Drop box off of Desplaines between Randolph and Lake St., behind our West Loop store
Need a Pick Up?
Fill out the form below. We’re on the road M-F, 10am-2pm in our Booksmobile!
Questions about book donation?
Want to host a book drive for Open Books?
Here’s everything you need to know: The Book Drive Book (.pdf)
Publishers, Stores, or other Partnership Book Donations?
Please contact Ryan Jackson, Managing Director, [email protected] to get the ball rolling.
Interested in a FREE Pick Up? Fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch!
- Note: We have temporarily suspended pickups in accordance with the state-wide Stay At Home Order. We will schedule you as soon as we can do so safely.
What do we take?
- All Children’s Books
- Books in almost all genres that are in good, resellable condition
- CDs, DVDs, and LPs in playable condition
What don’t we take?
There are certain types of books that simply see their time come and go and, unfortunately, no longer possess the capability to help us achieve our mission. Such as:
- Older Textbooks
- Books with significant damage
- VHS Tapes or Audio Books on Cassette
Pick Up Area
Our pick up radius is within the City of Chicago and near suburbs bound by the Tollway (294). See the map below for more details. We will make exceptions for larger collections, get in touch!