Open Books Storytime Facilitator (West Loop)
Open Books Storytime is now in the West Loop and Pilsen! Because of this expansion, we are seeking a Storytime Facilitator to lead our West Loop Storytimes every Saturday. The perfect Storytime Facilitator is enthusiastic and charismatic with a passion for children’s books and songs, knowledge of early literacy development, and a warm and compassionate demeanor to help expand our reach of our early childhood programming.
The Storytime Facilitator will be considered part of the Open Books Program Team and will report to the Early Childhood Literacy Coordinator, Valeria Osornio. This role will also work closely with the West Loop store team.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Facilitating Storytime sessions for 0-3 year olds and their caregivers at Open Books West Loop every Saturday
- Curating new age-appropriate books and songs for preschool age children and younger
- Maintaining and expanding a solid community of Storytime West Loop families
- Representing the Open Books mission and sharing a love of early learning
Knowledge and Abilities
- Solid understanding of early childhood development and age-appropriate literacy activities
- Warm, caring, and friendly demeanor, appropriate to working with young children, and in being a public face of Open Books
- Ability to be an effective preschool-age facilitator and leader
- Familiarity with children’s literature, authors, songs, and early literacy resources
- Ability to implement programs for children, their parents, and caregivers
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to maintain and foster cooperative and courteous working relationships with the public, peers and supervisors.
- Have availability to come in for additional office hours for planning.
+ Basic performance and/or musical talents a plus.
NOTE: This position requires songs and reading for very young children. It is not a space for unique storytelling. You should be comfortable with very wiggly audiences.
- Experience with performing or interacting with very young children and their caregivers
- At least 3 years college education or higher
- Customer service preferred
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to [email protected] by January 8th. Applications may be reviewed on a rolling basis.