Programs are the heart of Open Books. From one-on-one reading practice with young students and book grants to school classrooms all the way through intensive novel-writing sessions and celebrations of our newly published authors, we transform thousands of lives each year through reading, writing, and the power of used books.
Participatory read-aloud stories, songs, and book-based activities for pre-readers.
- Pre-K children and their caregivers
- Meets Thursdays and Saturdays at 10am at Open Books West Loop
- No registration necessary
- Led by the Open Books team of storytellers
One-on-one reading support for elementary students
- 2nd–3rd grade students
- Meets twice weekly at selected schools
- Volunteers serve as Big Buddy coaches
- Includes book giveaways
Free books for educators and nonprofit partners.
- Customizable for all ages, from pre-readers through adults
- High-quality and engaging books
- Hand-selected by the Open Books team, or come pick your own at Open Books Pilsen